As I grow as a shooter I expect my firearms to grow with me. One of the beautiful things about the AR platform is that you can create anything from a 458 SOCOM moose exploding rifle to a 5.56 AR pistol all using the same exact components aside from some caliber specific upper parts. Hell, you can even use the same lower receiver group and magazines for the .223, 5.56, 300blk, 25-45 sharps, and the 458 SOCOM!
|Comparison of Sig arm brace and Vltor E-mod stock|
I chose 5.56 over 300blk for the following reasons:
1. Cost of 300blk per round is double 5.56 (.65/ppr vs .26/ppr)
2. 300blk runs best suppressed (I will not be suppressing this)
3. In some cases the gas system can be finicky on the 300blk
4. I would have to keep another caliber of ammo in stock (I already own 5.56 rifles)
5. 300blk is still relatively new and could become scarce if it doesn’t catch on
(Obviously these are my opinion and feel free to correct any wrong info)
|Most of the parts used|
When it came time to build the lower I chose the PSA blemished stripped lower on sale for $49.99. This would later allow me to spend the money saved on other more important parts of the gun.
|Phase 5 buffer tube|
|Buffer tube that wasnt used|
Part 2 will detail the process of choosing what would eventually become my complete upper, if you have built or plan to build a pistol AR or AK let me know how you went about it!
Our friends over at ORS have a new build coming into the fold from what I hear so standby to see what they do.
Stay Fit and Keep that Warrior Mindset!
|Sneak peek of part 2|